Monday, June 7, 2010

A good Reader



Nabokov thought that a good reader is one who thinks of a world created in a book is completely separate from the world we live in. A good reader is also one who doesn't take things at face value; just because a novel was written at a certain time does not mean it is historically accurate. A good reader is one who is a re-reader. I agree with all of these points that he made. He talked about a few other ones, like reading with your spine, which I kind of understand but still have some reservations about.
I really think a good reader is someone who can really get into a story and get lost in a world that was created by someone with a vision. I never thought about it a lot before now, but I agree with the reread concept of a good reader. I know that the first time I read a book I am so excited to see what comes next that I skip some lines and details to get to the next action part or dialogue, but there is so much detail that I miss when I do that. I don't know if I am a good reader or not. I love to read, I think of it as an escape,but as far as me being a good reader I think that depends on on what I am reading. If I am interested in it then I can be a good reader but if its like my bio text book, I skim through that not really reading it.

Picture Source-itsablackthang.com/images/Art-Mini-Prints/frank-morrison-the-thinker.jpg

http://www.ridge414.com/files/Nabokov_Good_Reader_Good_Writer_1_.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lyndsie,

    Glad to see you are on top of things. Your link that you have up doesn't seem to work. I recommend connecting one of the words in the text of your document to a page on the web. Check out the first blog post on my blog for an example.

    ReplyDelete